Wednesday 27 August 2008

Last day in Swakopmund

Well, we didn't have much luck with the flight or the sand boarding today (everything was booked), but we did do a bit of shopping, and we drove to a place where we could just do a walk in the dunes. We climbed to the top of several and just walked along the edge, causing little sand slides as we went. It's hard to describe how expansive the desert is here and how huge the individual dunes are. We were just in awe every time we turned a corner and saw some amazing new orange sand configurations against a perfectly clear, dark blue sky. All of this is a 5 minute drive from Swakopmund. It's a bit strange to be having coffee in a German bakery with fresh calalilies at your table at 9:00 and then trekking through a barren expanse of desert at 9:20. This is certainly a place of contrasts.

Tonight, we are having dinner at a restaurant called The Tug. It's actually built around a moored tugboat. Ships have frequently gotten stuck in this area, which is why the coast around here is called the Skeleton Coast. The bad Atlantic storms force the ships off anchor, and they just crash into the sand. The last one was in 2006 - it's just a huge frigate sitting there. They can't move it! Anyway, The Tug is apparently THE place to go in Swakopmund, as many famous artists have painted the tables and the walls. Should be a good last night of our little vacation.

8 comments:

NinaCC said...

Hi Jenny, it sounds like your having a GREAT time! the pictures look amazing and I also found the contrasts in Swakopmund really stunning I sometimes felt like being in another universe, for sure not in Africa. If you have the chance to go to Walvis Bay, you should book a boat trip at Mola Mola we saw tons of seals and dolphins and sea lions!
and the Tug - you need to try the Klipfish mmmh yummy!
Viele Grüsse aus Hamburg!

Mike & Amy said...

Jenny - I'm loving the blog! Where is your farm? I'm guessing you're near Windoek -- can you give your latitude and longitude of the farm so I can google earth you?

Also I hesitate to ask this along with the sad stories of the impoverished, but how is the food? I’ve read that Namibian beef rivals Argentine beef. Have you been to the touristy spots: Café Zoo, Joe’s Beerhouse, Iitumba or NICE?

- Mike

JP said...

Hey guys- thanks for your comments!

Nina - we did actually do a boat trip at Walvis Bay, and I have some pics of a seal on my lap! They will do anything for a treat. We saw tons of sea lions and dolphins as well. It was a really fun day. Also, I ate Klipfish twice while in Swakop. It was some of the best fish I've ever had.

Mike - the farm I'm staying at is about 50 km northwest of Windhoek, 18 km west off the B1. I don't have GPS coordinates, but that should help you Google earth me! The food here is really tasty, although very meat based. I've eaten everything from regular beef to Oryx and Kudu. Actually, the kudu steaks are just as good as a beef filet. I haven't been to Windhoek much, as I've been working on the farm, but I'll definitely check those out on my last day!

JP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chmoelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chmoelle said...

Hi Jenny,

it's so nice to read our expereinces in your blog again. I feel terrible for being back home and my thoughts are still with you. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and I'm looking forward in your further experiences (how about your further "plans"?, News from the kindergarten? Have you been back to WDH?).
I miss the farm, the inhabitants, the animals... Say HELLO to all of them.
Looking forward in hearing from you.
Warmest regards, tot siens,


Christiane (the volunteer sad and back again on the other side of the world:-((()

Mike & Amy said...

Are you at the Dusternbrook Farm off the D1499 (gravel) road? Or are you closer to Gross Barmen Hot Springs off D-1972?

I'm determined to find you on Google earth!

JP said...

Good sleuthing! I'm at Dusternbrook.